Location UWA, Perth, WA
Duration 3 hours
Min/max attendees 1/6
Recommended for everyone
Next availability Request your own date
Pricing AU$240.0 (Standard)
Covered is the quality and direction of the light, creative composition, different types of cameras and the best lenses. You learn about to poses, backdrops, lens perspective, new ideas, angles & viewpoints.
Learn the 'tools of the trade' - what you need to know about camera gear and accessories for high quality, punchy portraiture. We cover mixing strobe with available light and the golden rules of composition. Practical demonstrations train your eye, to ‘paint’ light onto a subject, the use of aperture and shutter speed to control the creative process - to learn how to shoot product, individual and groups without spending a fortune.
We run this course in the excellent grounds of The University of Western Australia (UWA).
■ A fun, masterclass in professional portraiture
■ Camera settings, colour profiling, lens perspective
■ How to recognise and use natural light
■ Shooting models & ourselves
■ Portrait shots of yourself as an added bonus
■ Social, informative and fun!
Photographing people in all walks of life is hugely popular yet it is usually done poorly. We train you to recognise the quality and direction of the light, to implement creative composition, to understand poses, backdrops, lens perspective, colour cast, to make your subject relax, to look for unusual locations, to come up with new ideas, angles, viewpoints - to shoot for dramatic impact or to flatter your subject with a dreamy, ethereal quality to the image.
This portraiture course is taught in conjunction with Code lime Photography and is also run in Sydney and Melbourne. We will impart a high level of proficiency to the serious amateur photographer or to someone considering a career in portrait photography. You will be confident to shoot at a professional level. It assumes a proficiency in digital camera handling and technical knowledge. Ideally you will have completed our Beginners course or be able to demonstrate a similar level of competency. The group will be limited to a maximum of 8 people for a highly personalised training experience.
You will learn how to shoot natural light portraiture photography. The appropriate selection of camera gear is an important component to this course which we will tailor to your individual requirements. Your instructors are professional portrait and wedding photographers and you can draw upon that accumulated knowledge throughout.
- Learn how to use every feature on your digital camera to the full
- Knowledge on the best camera/lens combinations for portraiture work
- Get unbiased advice on what camera gear is best suited for your needs and budget
- To recognise the quality and direction of light
- Advanced tips on setting up portrait shots
- How to shoot weddings and corporate
- Fast track your technical and artistic skills
- Small groups (8 persons maximum)
- Souvenir portraits
- A professional portfolio taken by yourself
WHAT THE COURSE COVERS
- Advanced digital SLR camera functions
- Choice of lenses, accessories and props
- Accessories, props, reflectors
- Body positioning / eyes / noses /hands
- Exposure bracketing, compensation and ISO
- Channels & parameters, colour temperature
- Creative use of depth of field
- Black and white portraiture
- Reportage, documentary formal, candid, environmental, stylised, point n’ shoot
- Photographing babies, children, adults, groups, weddings, corporate, fashion
- Skin tones, reflections, white balance
- Unusual viewpoints & tilting / lens and linear perspective
- High contrast / colour harmony / blurring / freezing of motion / conveying movement
- Unusual locations, attractive clothing, interesting accessories
- Planning: weather, location, time of day/season
- Getting your models, make up / hairstylists
- Operation of external flash unit, rear / 2nd curtain synch flash
- Model releases, technicalities, copyright
Serena Pearce and/or Andrew Thomasson
Beginners Photography course (or equivalent) or a sound grasp of photography.
Start time : 2:00 pm
Finish time : 5:00 pm
Meet at : The entry to Winthrop Hall, UWA
- Instruction from professional photographers
- Detailed notes
- Camera, lens, and accessory shopping service
- Free portraits
- Personal assessment and critique of your portfolio
- Certificate of completion (on request)
This workshop is available on demand. Please specify your preferred date and time on the booking form.