Location Mt Wellington, Hobart, TAS
Duration 3 hours
Min/max attendees 1/2
Recommended for everyone
Next availability Request your own date
Pricing AU$395.0 (Single person) / AU$593.0 (Group of 2)
A 3-hour nature photography walkabout in the natural mountain environment of Mt Wellington, Hobart, Tasmania
At 1,000m (3,280ft) above sea level on the upper southern slopes of Mount Wellington is 'The Chalet' picnic hut and a walking track leading to the iconic 'Organ Pipes'.
In this sub-alpine woodland there is a myriad of landscape and nature photography opportunities including vistas of Hobart, the iconic Organ Pipes towering above, seasonal native wildflowers, colourful berries and birdlife. Misty days won't disappoint - there's a certain eeriness of photographing snow gums in the fog and there's always some great close-up subjects too.
We take a break along the track just below the very impressive organ pipes and retrace our steps returning to 'The Chalet'.
This tour is available all year round, but please be aware of specific notes below about weather conditions at different times of the year
- The settings on your camera that best suit landscape photography
- The effect of light and shadow in your images
- Techniques to avoid motion blur
- Depth-of-field and how important this is to achieve a creative image
- How to best frame your subject and produce creative images in-camera and other pro hints and tips
- 3 hours expert photography tuition andguidance
- A leisurely and scenic walk on the southern slopes of Mt Wellington
- Enjoy a local Tasmanian treat and a drink (bottled water) in the serenity of nature
- Plenty of time to experiment with different settings on your camera
- Photo reviews during walkabout, so you know what works and what doesn't
- We provide take home 'hints & tips' leaflets, so you don't need to take notes
- Post-walkabout (email) photo review - to help you further develop your knowledge and understanding
Photographic opportunities (somewhat weather dependent)
- Impressive vistas of Hobart and surrounds
- Awe-inspiring views from the base of the Organ Pipes
- Native wildlife, including birds (when the opportunity transpires)
- The colours and textures of wildflowers when in bloom
Fern Tree Tavern, Corner Huon & Summerleas Roads, Fern Tree
We first meet at the Fern Tree Tavern then continue as a tag-a-long on the Pinnacle Road up to The Chalet. 'The Chalet' is located approximately 3kms past 'The Springs' and parking is available on the left side of the road just before or on the right directly opposite 'The Chalet'. "The Chalet" is located at 1,000 metres above sea level - approx. 2/3rds of the way t the top of Mount Wellington.
Summer: meet at 8.45am for 9.00am start at 'The Chalet'
Winter: meet at 1.45pm for 2.00pm start at 'The Chalet'
You may also be interested in *Wellington Wanders 'Ferns, Fungi & Waterfalls' Photography Walkabout.
Information specific to this experience
Track overview: Easy to medium walk on a well-defined track with rocky sections although mostly flat. The walk is a slow meander for 2.5 to 3 hours duration, total walking distance approximately 4kms.
Suggested fitness level: This walk is suitable for most people steady on their feet over a rocky path.
Weather conditions and your safety
Your safety is of utmost priority. We will operate this walk in most weather conditions, however the weather can change rapidly in these mountain conditions and we may need to reschedule or cancel the tour accordingly. The mountain is subject to snowfall and this may impact on the operational status of this walk due to accessibility and safety.
How to get there
From the city, travel south along Davey Street and stay in the far right lane to avoid a forced left turn onto the Southern Outlet. Following the signs to Mount Wellington continue onto Huon Road and pass the turnoff to the summit to arrive in Fern Tree. Approximate travel time ~15 minutes.
We first meet as a group at the Fern Tree Tavern then continue as a tag-a-long group on the Pinnacle Road up to The Chalet. 'The Chalet' is located approximately 3kms past 'The Springs' and parking is available on the left side of the road just before or on the right directly opposite 'The Chalet'.
Note: This option is subject to available transport in our vehicle/s from Fern Tree up the mountain to The Chalet.
Take bus 48 or 49 from Hobart's Franklin Square Bus terminal - stop M, on Elizabeth Street, near the corner of Macquarie Street. Alight at the Fern Tree Tavern on the corner of Huon Road and Stephenson Place.
Suggested bus departure from Hobart: 8.25am (arrives Fern Tree 8.53am); different times may apply. Check the bus timetable in advance.
This workshop is available on demand. Please specify your preferred date and time on the booking form.