Location Sydney, NSW
Duration 4 hours
Min/max attendees 1/10
Recommended for beginner
Next availability (Sydney time) Sun, 07 Jan 08:00
Pricing AU$160.0 (Standard)
Modern digital cameras offer a daunting array of functions and possibilities. We won’t bombard you with loads of facts and technical information; we’re photographers ourselves, and we prefer a hands-on approach.
This workshop is based in the field, not in the studio, so we’ll be able to combine a little theory with lots of practical demonstrations and group exercises.
The journey begins with understanding your camera and learning how to navigate the controls and functions. You’ll learn about aperture, shutter speed, how to select the right lens and how to use it to create spectacular images. We’ll show you simple composition techniques to improve your photographs.
Then we’ll look at colour balance and how to produce different moods using the direction of light. We explain about ‘quality of light’ and how to use it to create mood and emotion.
You’ll see results by the end of the workshop, and will finish your first tutorial with confidence about how to handle camera to create images that go beyond the snapshot.
What does the workshop cover?
- introduction to your camera
- essential equipment
- selecting the right lens
- aperture settings
- shutter speed settings
- ISO settings
- colour balance
- manual mode settings
- composition rules and tips
- learning to see with a photographer’s eye
- light — the main ingredient, and how it works
What should I bring?
- a digital SLR camera or compact camera with manual settings and a built-in flash. You can also bring a smartphone with appropriate apps to control settings. Please make sure you also bring the user’s manual
- a lens hood if you have one
- a cleaning cloth
- at least one empty memory card
- at least one set of spare batteries - make sure they’re fully charged!
- your camera manual
- camera bag
- water bottle and snacks
- comfortable walking shoes
- sunscreen and hat
- comfortable clothing; check the weather forecast!
What not to bring?
- Do not bring a tripod - we won't be needing this and you will end up carrying it for 4 hrs!
About the workshop:
Tutors: a professional photographer and a photographer’s assistant (subject to group size)
Class size: minimum 4; maximum 10
Time: 9 am to 1 on selected Sundays. Please arrive 15 minutes early so we can start the workshop on time
Meeting point: The City Extra Café opposite Wharf 4, Circular Quay
Detailed Aperture Club course notes will be emailed to you on completion of each workshop.
Camera kits are available to hire for $75 per workshop if you want to experiment using a professional DSLR camera. Kits include a camera, lens and other equipment (flash/tripod) appropriate to the particular tutorial. Kits are limited, so make sure you reserve one when you confirm your workshop.
Workshops do not include drinks, meals/snacks, public transport or parking.
If it looks as if the weather will be unsuitable on the day, we’ll contact you early in the morning. In the event of cancellation, you can select an alternative workshop date.
We look forward to meeting you soon.
- Sun, 07 Jan 08:00
- Mon, 15 Jan 08:00
- Sun, 04 Feb 08:00
- Sun, 03 Mar 08:00